Thursday, April 8, 2010

think local...

I recently stumbled upon pizza dough at Wegman's, and have loved it, but in an effort to be more sustainable, I thought I'd grit my teeth and make one more attempt at homemade pizza dough (no plastic packaging, no refrigeration needed, no traveling). Well, each of the ingredients had to travel, like the flour, but they do for prepared dough also. This way I can buy the ingredients from the local natural store down the road, and the honey from a local farmer - Yum!

This recipe was super-easy, very healthy, and delicious!

  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon honey

It does tend to stick to the pan a bit, so the pan should be sprayed with a little oil (I used olive oil), and liberally sprinkled with corn meal.

No comments: