Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The return of beets

Finally, I sliced and boiled the beets, then peeled them and pureed them. 


I put some in a jar, for later use. 


I used the rest (~1 cup), along with some of our powdered peanut butter, to make some chocolate peanut butter muffins.



Chocolate-peanut butter muffins
1 c. cooked, peeled and pureed beets
Combine in large mixing bowl and beat well:* 1/2 c. sugar
* 2 eggs
Add along with pureed beets and beat well:* 1/4 c. cocoa
* 1 T. vanilla
* 1/4 c. peanut butter (dry mix with water)Gradually sift into batter, mixing till blended:* 1 c. whole wheat flour
* 1 t. baking soda

Spoon batter into cupcake tin with muffin cups. Bake at 350F for ~20 minutes. Allow to cool completely then top with your favorite frosting or peanut butter, eat with ice cream, or just enjoy as they are.

2 comments:

Dad said...

Those look great!

mathbionerd said...

I've been on a muffin-making kick lately. They're so easy to grab for breakfast, or a snack. I like the dehydrated PB in these for the extra protein without so much fat as regular PB.

Plus, I'm not a huge fan of the consistency of the reconstituted PB, so it's a win-win to get it eaten!