Monday, February 14, 2011

Short, but more frequent

At least, I hope I'm able to post more frequently. However, given my limited time, my posts (as you will have noticed) are much shorter, and will be for some time.

I did want to mention an online symposium held last Friday:


A Decade with the Human Genome Sequence: Charting a Course for Genomic Medicine


It was hosted by the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI), and featured several prominent scientists. I was only able to attend one of the sessions, that given by one of the rockstars in my field, David Page, M.D.. I tweeted about the talk (I missed a few bits here and there due to glitches with the live broadcast, but caught most of it), but didn't think to look up the hashtag (I had to run to make it on time after pumping). To summarize, the first half of the talk was a summary of sex chromosome evolution, focusing particularly on the Y chromosome. The second half discussed new research connecting the Y chromosome with infertility and (the really exciting part), potentially Turner Syndrome. He finished by emphasizing that careful, complete sequencing is necessary for studies of the Y chromosome, and for understanding the impact of both the Y chromosome and complex regions of the genome on human disease and infertility.

The website claims that the videocasts will be archived for future viewing - I don't see them yet, but keep an eye out - I really hope they are posted! 

No comments: